There are two sides to every NBA Power Ranking: the Fanalytical and the Fanatical. As a Miami HEAT blogger living on the east coast, MHI plays the fan for the Western Conference. As a Denver Nuggets fan living west of the Mississippi River, Mrs. NBA plays the fanalyst. The roles are reversed for the Eastern Conference.
1. Los Angeles Clippers (27-8; Previously #1): They did lose to the Nuggets and GSW (1st game) this week, but bounced back against the Lakers and killed GSW during their second meeting.
MHI: Despite the Clippers’ regular season success, doesn’t it feel like Chris Paul could still leave for another team if they don’t come close to making the Finals?
2. OKC Thunder (26-7; Previously #2):The only thing that kept the Thunder out of first was that atrocious loss to the Nets.
MHI: That Nets loss was confusing as fuck, but nobody in the West is fucking with the Thunder in the playoffs. Too much athleticism and too much shooting.
3. San Antonio Spurs (27-9; Previously #3): The Spurs are still the Spurs and will rack up regular season wins, but will they make noise when it matters?
MHI: The Spurs will feel the wrath of Z-Bo this week as payback for resting their starters while the Grizzlies would be coming off a back-to-back earlier this season. #BitchassnessNeverProspers
4. Golden State Warriors (22-11; Previously #4): They split their wins, but are still playing like a top 4 team.
MHI: Z-Bo already wrecked Brandon Rush’s knee and if David Lee keeps acting like a fake tough guy he’s gonna get the same visit Kendrick Perkins got in the locker room hallway.
5. Denver Nuggets (20-16; Previously #6): Denver ended the Clippers winning streak, edged the Lakers, and annihilated the Jazz. Thanks, NBA scheduler.
MHI: That walking pneumonia must have you sick in the head. How the fuck does this underachieving team with only the 8th-best record in the West get ranked #5? GTFOHWTBS.
6. Memphis Grizzlies (21-10; Previously #5): Yes, I bought into the Grizzlies’ early hype, and now they could just be regressing back. Sue me.
MHI: They haven’t regressed enough to be ranked behind GSW. This bullshit just earned the Warriors a flagrant foul in the grindhouse on Wednesday.
7. Houston Rockets (20-14; Previously #7): Well, helloooo James Harden; he’s scored at least 25 points in 12 consecutive games.
MHI: Beard groupie…
8. Portland Trail Blazers (18-15; Previously not ranked): They’ve been able to hit their stride at home and have a +.500 record, but can it maintain?
MHI: No, it can’t maintain. Blazer fans better enjoy that OT win over the Magic because it will be their last win this week. HEAT, Warriors on 2nd night of a back-to-back and Thunder up next.